AIDS: Affairs: Afraid to see a doctor

April 05, 2016

Dear Counsellor,

Each month just before my period, I have intense itching, swelling, and soreness in my groin area. I am afraid to go to the doctor because I don't want to hear that I have any sickness. Counsellor, can you help me to put my mind at ease my telling me what could be wrong. Also, is there anything that you recommend that I take?

Faithful Wife

Dear Faithful Wife,

What you are experiencing sounds like you need to be examined by a medical doctor. It is better to be sure what is happening than to be speculating. When it comes to your health you have to be absolutely sure, there should be no room for speculation. Additionally, there is no medication I can recommend to you. There is a big danger in taking medication not properly prescribed for you. You should also know that the symptoms you are experiencing may go away without treatment, but the underline cause could remain there and may lead to more serious infections. Therefore, seek medical help as soon as possible.

Dear Counsellor,

I was recently told by my boyfriend that I passed on a sexually transmitted infection to him. I find this very strange because I had not been sexually active for over four months before I had sex with him. Please tell me a little about this sexually transmitted infection and whether it is only sexually transmitted.


Dear Concerned,

If your boyfriend with whom you have been sexually active told you that you gave him a sexually transmitted infection, you should take the matter seriously. Right now it does not matter who gave who, what matters is that you check to make sure you are not infected with any sexually transmitted infection. The only way to be sure is to go to a doctor immediately.

You must know that sexually transmitted infections are very serious and can cause lasting and painful complications. Importantly also is that some sexually transmitted infections do not show symptoms in the infected person, but if left untreated can lead to serious complications.

My suggestion, therefore, is to seek medical attention right away. After that, you can decide how you will deal with the matter of how you got infected and most importantly, you would; be reminded that only you can protect yourself.

For more information on condom use, HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted infections, call the AIDS/STD Helpline toll free at 1-888-991-4444.