Still in shock - Rising Star contestant still surprised after being saved by Anthony Miller

August 26, 2017
Jasmine Barnes performing during last week's edition of Digicel's Rising Star.
Anthony Miller
1
2

Jasmine Barnes, the Rising Stars contestant who was chosen by bad cop judge Anthony Miller to be his wild card contestant, right after she was eliminated from the show last week, is still in shock.

"I honestly can't believe it happened," Barnes said. "In fact, I'm still in shock. I had absolutely no idea that he could have done that, and even after he announced it, I was just standing there in a state of disbelief. Right after being eliminated from the show, I was there thinking about my next step, and to get this second chance at getting closer to my dreams is just more than I could have ever asked for.

"This has just given me the motivation to prove myself even more. Anthony Miller saw that there was something great about me, and I just need to show everyone else that he made the right decision to bring me back as his wild card."

With plans to put the grand prize towards completing school, Barnes, 21, said she has always been interested in singing.

"When I was in primary school, I told my mom I wanted to be a singer and she said, 'No, pick something else as singing is not a smart choice'. But I've worked hard, and now I'm in the competition and everyone is seeing what I can do. My mom is 100 per cent supportive of my journey and I'm going to do everything I can do to secure the top spot."

Vowing to rehearse and campaign a lot more, the singer and songwriter promises to bring far more energy to the show, with even more creative performances and improved stage presence.

"I see myself performing at Madison Square Gardens in the US like BeyoncÈ and Rihanna," said Barnes. "Digicel Rising Stars is going to be my first step towards getting there," she added.

Other Entertainment Stories