What to know when applying for an entertainment permit

December 12, 2018
Patrons enjoy the music at Maruba, a party which was held at the Royal Jamaica Yacht Club in Port Royal recently.

The public is being reminded of the following when applying for an entertainment permit.


1. Submit an application at least 10 clear days before the scheduled event.

2. Address the application to the superintendent in charge of the division in which the event is to be held.

3. State the:

i. applicant's name, address and contact number clearly

ii. reason for applying for the permit and the type of event

iii. date, time and venue of the event

iv. name of the sound employed to play

v. name and address of the selector/owner of the sound

vi. number of persons expected to attend

4. Provide JAMMS, JACAP or KSAC certificates.

Supporting documents must be submitted with the application.

The superintendent may, upon receipt of an application, grant or refuse to grant permission for the event.

A person aggrieved by:

- a superintendent's refusal to grant; or

- any condition subject to which permission is granted may, within seven days after the date of that decision, appeal in writing to the commissioner of police, who may revoke, vary or confirm such decision subject to such conditions as he or she deems necessary.

Where a person playing upon any musical instrument or equipment in the vicinity of any dwelling house, hospital, nursing home, infirmary, hotel or guest house between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6 a.m., in such a manner capable of causing annoyance or the operator is requested to reduce or discontinue the sound by or on behalf of any person who is affected and fails to comply, the operator shall be guilty of an offence. He shall be liable on conviction in a parish court to a fine of up to $20,000, or in default of payment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months.

Other Entertainment Stories