Check-Up: Man believes he broke his penis

December 03, 2018

Dear Readers,

Charles emailed Check Up because his penis is developing a curve, which is actually interfering with sexual intercourse. He remembers an episode where he hit the penis on the inside thigh of a partner while having sex some months ago. It was very painful, and he avoided sex for a while. However, the pain and swelling gradually subsided. He used a lot of ice packs.

A friend said that this problem could stem from that incident. He didn't go to the doctor about it because the partner wasn't his regular girl, so he was just hoping it would settle down and go away.

Well, you sounds like you broke your penis. The condition is called 'penile fracture' and occurs when the erect penis takes a blow, head-on! Older men hardly experience this problem, as, for many, their erections are often not full erections, but a bit softer, which is their salvation. However, even the partially engorged penis can twist with a blow and fracture.

The penis is made up of three tubes under the skin. Two are filled with blood during an erection, and the third is the urethra, which passes the urine. During erection, the two larger tubes fill with blood, and when they are really full the penis cannot bend. If during sex this turgid penis hits somewhere other than entering the vagina, the pressure it sustains causes the penile tissues to rupture or tear. If the blow is hard enough, you can actually hear a 'popping' sound as the tissues rupture. When the erection is sort of soft, it can bend and withstand the blow. After the injury occurs, the erection is lost due to the pain experienced and blood leaking from the torn, blood-filled tissues into surrounding tissues. The penis becomes black and blue and swollen. If the injury is really bad, it will also affect the urethra, and blood is passed along with urine.




This wasn't the case with Charles as Check up is pretty sure that would have taken him to the doctor, no matter the prevailing situation. This condition is actually a surgical emergency, requiring a visit to the emergency room of a hospital. Once the condition is confirmed, surgery is done within a few days to repair the damaged tissues. It's more difficult to repair later on, and scar tissue will begin to form, which can lead to a curved penis when erection occurs. Some men may not even be able to get an erection, as the tissues which hold the blood and lead to erection remain damaged. The result is erectile dysfunction.

When sex involves thrusting with a lot of force, the man is more likely to tear something. Studies have shown that this is more likely in an extramarital affair, as sex may be rushed and occurring outside the bedroom. Men who have sex while under the influence of alcohol, are diabetic or pre-diabetic, or masturbate also, may need forceful sex to feel acceptable sensation during sexual intercourse. When the penis is injured during sex, keep it pointed upwards, and wear a jockstrap to prevent excessive swelling. See a doctor; better still, go to the accident and emergency department of the nearest hospital. Charles should visit a urologist at a hospital clinic, or privately, to determine what can be done to correct what seems to be complications from a broken penis.

Write Check Up: PO Box 1731, Kgn 8. Email:

Other Features Stories