Lifestyle & Health - Worried I have pelvic inflammatory disease

November 15, 2016

Dear Counsellor,

Is there a treatment for PID? My doctor told me that I may be infected with PID, and I am very worried because he also told me that with PID, I may not be able to have children. I am a young married woman and would really love to have children for my husband. Counsellor, I really want a quick answer from you. My husband wants children so badly and I don't want to disappoint him.

Worried Wife

Dear Worried Wife,

Yes, there is treatment for Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID). Your health care provider may prescribe antibiotics for you to take and ask you to take bed rest for a prescribed period. He may ask you to abstain from sex for a while as well. In more advanced cases of PID, surgery may be needed to repair or remove scarred reproductive organs.

It is important for you to know that most PID cases are caused by sexually transmitted infections such as gonorrhoea and chlamydia. Both STIs can be cured, however, if they are not treated promptly, the infected person can develop complications such as those caused by PID.

Pelvic Inflammatory Disease may result in infertility (not being able to have children) or ectopic pregnancy (a pregnancy developed in the Fallopian tubes). This may cause the death of the woman. PID may also cause chronic pelvic pain.

I would encourage you to ask your doctor to move swiftly to determine if you do have PID and how advanced the infection is and what treatment must be done. Also discuss your concern to be able to have children.

Other Lifestyle Stories