Lifestyle & Food : Quick and easy Jamaican Coconut Toto
You might still have some fruitcake left over from the Christmas holidays, but if you don't, we have the right recipe to fill that sweet tooth of yours.
This week, we will be sharing a simple Jamaican coconut toto recipe with you.
Using spices from your cupboard, as well as coconut, flour and a few other items, you can certainly whip up this easy cake that has been around since the days of slavery.
Below is a recipe from Pauline Trowers.
4 cups flour
11/2 cups brown sugar
3tsp baking powder
2 cups grated coconut
1/4 cup raisins (optional)
1tsp mixed spice
1tsp grated ginger
1/2 cup melted margarine
11/2-2 cups coconut milk
2 eggs (optional)
1/4 cup Red Label Wine (optional)
1tbsp white rum (optional)
• Grease baking tins.
• Preheat oven 3508F
• Combine dry ingredients in a bowl: flour, sugar, grated coconut, baking powder, salt, raisins, mixed spice, nutmeg, ginger.
• Beat eggs and melt margarine.
• Mix together wet ingredients: eggs, margarine, coconut milk, vanilla, Red Label Wine and white rum.
• Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix lightly.
• Pour into greased baking tin and bake at 3508F for 30 minutes, or when done.
• Remove from oven, cool, cut and serve.