Lifestyle & Food : Tasty pork dishes
Ackee and Corned Pork
- 11/2 pounds corned pork
- 1/2 teaspoon Grace Caribbean Traditions Black Pepper
- 6 cups water
- 2 dozen ackees
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Grace Vegetable Oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large sweet pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Scotch bonnet pepper, deseed, chopped
1. Wash corned pork and cut into bite-size pieces. Place into a pot, cover with tap water and put to boil for about one to two hours. Drain, add tap water and set aside.
2. Clean and wash ackee and set aside. Bring water to boil then add salt and ackee.
3. Heat a large frying pan, drain pork and place into the hot frying pan. Fry for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the pork becomes crisp and brown in colour.
4. Mix in the garlic, onion, Scotch bonnet pepper, scallion, tomatoes and sweet pepper.
5. Fold in the boiled and drained ackees and sprinkle with black pepper, leave to heat through for three minutes.
Golden Pork Chops
- 8 whole pork chops
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 11/2 tablespoons ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup Grace Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Scotch bonnet pepper, chopped
- 1 stalk scallion, chopped
- 1 sprig thyme
- 4 whole pimento berries
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup Grace Tomato Ketchup
- 1 tablespoon raisins
1. Clean pork chops and season with soy sauce, half the ginger, salt and chopped onion. Cover and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for two hours.
2. Heat Grace Vegetable Oil in a large skillet and use to brown pork chops on each side.
3. Remove pork chops from skillet and set aside. Drain about a half of the oil from the skillet. Return to the flame and use to saute the remaining ginger, Scotch bonnet pepper, scallion, thyme and pimento berries.
4. Deglaze the pot with hot water, then return the pork chops to the skillet. Add orange juice and allow to cook until tender.
5. Mix in the Grace Tomato Ketchup and the raisins and simmer for a further five minutes.
TO SERVE: Serve with slices of roasted sweet potato and a tossed vegetable salad. Garnish with orange slices.
Recipes from www.gracefoods.com