Lottery scammer found guilty

February 18, 2016

Twenty-year-old Orlando Thomas was found guilty in the St Catherine Circuit Court for breaches of the Fraudulent Transaction Special Provision Act (Lottery Scamming).

When Thomas reappeared before High Court judge, Justice Sarah Thompson-James on Monday, he was given the verdict.

The judge told the accused that the Crown did not believe what he said in his unsworn testimony. He was then told that the matter will be set for sentencing on February 26, 2016.

The judge commended the investigators for how they approached the matter.

Allegations are that in May last year, Thomas was picked up by investigators in Spanish Town.

When he was taken the Spanish Town police Station he was searched. During the search, a plastic bag with two lead sheets bearing the social security numbers, names and addresses of persons overseas were found. Further investigations revealed that he was involved in lottery scamming.

He was subsequently charged.

Other News Stories