Road fatalities hit the 200 mark

July 12, 2016

The number of persons killed in road accidents since the start of the year has hit the 200 mark, statistics from the Road Safety Unit showed.
This represents a two percent decrease in the number of road fatalities when compared with the same period last year, 2015.

In keeping with statistics from previous years, males account for a significant number of the fatalities, at 86 percent this year, while females account for the remaining 14 percent.

Similarly, motorcyclists and pedestrians continue top the statistics of road users who are killed in fatal crashes, at 27 percent and 19 percent respectively.

Westmoreland continues to be the parish with the highest number of road fatalities at 34 so far, and St Ann follows close behind, with 21 road fatalities.

Other News Stories