Motorists should be compensated for 'bad gas' - Wheatley

October 26, 2016
Andrew Wheatley

The Government has commenced discussions with petroleum marketing companies and other players within the industry regarding compensation for motorists who were affected by contaminated gas last year.

This disclosure was made by Minister of Science, Energy and Technology, Dr the Hon Andrew Wheatley, in a statement to the House of Representatives yesterday.

Wheatley said while the final report on the contaminated petroleum faulted no particular entity or individual, the Government supports the position of compensation.

“The results of the analysis came back inconclusive as to the cause of the contaminant and also to lay blame to any particular party,” the minister said.

“I must also add that the Consumer Affairs Commission (CAC) was a part of the Petroleum Trade Reform Committee (PTRC), and one of the recommendations coming out of this particular deliberation was for compensation,” he added.

Wheatley further noted that the figure which was calculated by the CAC was $60 million.

“It is a matter that we still support and we are in dialogue with the marketing companies and the other players within the industry to see, even though they are not to be blamed, that as a goodwill gesture we put forward some form of compensation package,” he said.

 

 

Other News Stories