Fewer J'cans denied entry to Trinidad and Tobago
Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade Minister, Senator Kamina Johnson Smith is reporting a 64 per cent reduction in the number of Jamaicans who have been denied entry to Trinidad and Tobago between March and December 2016.
Johnson Smith, said there have also been fewer complaints of mistreatment.
"We received feedback from travellers and through enquiries by our Jamaican High Commission in Port-of-Spain that there is generally an improved experience at immigration," she noted.
Senator Johnson Smith was speaking at a press conference at her Dominica Drive offices in New Kingston on Wednesday.
Last year, scores of Jamaicans complained about being mistreated by immigration officials at Trinidad's Piarco International Airport after they had been refused entry into the country.
Following a visit to Jamaica by Prime Minister of the twin-island republic, Dr Keith Rowley in July, an action plan was drafted outlining cooperation programmes and activities.
Johnson Smith said the ministry is pleased with the measures taken by the Trinidadian Government in solving the immigration issues.
She noted that an area at Piarco has been retrofitted to comfortably accommodate persons, including Jamaicans, who are not landed, while they await return to their country of origin.