Teen's suspected suicide rocks school, community

May 30, 2017
Police use yellow tape to block off the entrance to the Kingston Mall in downtown Kingston during their investigation into a murder-suicide in 2016. A security guard had reportedly shot and killed his girlfriend at the scene before killing himself.

Students and teachers at Mile Gully High in Manchester were in mourning yesterday as it was the first day of school since the death of student Kerrian Williams.

The 13-year-old's body was found in a water tank in the community on Sunday.

A suicide note was found near the scene. The Manchester police said the matter is being treated as a suspected suicide.

Vice-principal Heather Stewart said Williams was a good student but with a quiet disposition.

"Kerry was a very good student but she was on the reserved side. She was very pleasant and she took active part in school ... The school isn't taking it (her death) very well, especially the class that she was in, one teacher had to be taken home."

Members from the grief counselling team at the Ministry of Education, the board chair and Member of Parliament Mikael Phillips were present to give support.


Residents of Hasty Good, the farming district in the parish that Williams lived, were also still trying to cope.

Reports reaching our news team are that on Sunday about 7:15 a.m., Williams' mother noticed she was missing.

Family members and neighbours conducted a search, and soon after, her body was found. The police were summoned to the scene. Her body was removed to the morgue pending post-mortem.

The note was believed to have been handwritten by the teen. The Corporate Communication, Unit said the contents of the letter were not disclosed.

Our news team tried without success to speak with commander of the Manchester police, Senior Superintendent Wayne Cameron.

Also on Sunday, a toddler, Taeshawn Richards, was also found dead in a tank in Dunrobin district in the parish.

Initial investigation suggests that Richards died as a result of drowning, however, the police are awaiting the results of a post-mortem examination.

Other News Stories