Defence laughs at witness in 'death squad' trial

November 28, 2018
Valerie Neita-Robertson


Defence attorney, Queen's Counsel Valerie Neita-Robertson yesterday tried to poke holes in the testimony of the Crown's witness in the Clarendon death squad trial.

The witness told the Home Circuit Court that the victim, Andrew Bisson, was taken to a board house in the Cornpiece District in Hayes on September 5, 2011.

He said Bisson was then shot dead by the accused, Detective Corporal Kevin Adams, District Constable Howard Brown and Constable Carl Bucknor.

He then told the court that the police removed the body from the house and other men who were on the scene were taken into custody.

He identified Adams as 'Chucky Brown', Bucknor as 'Addy' and Brown as 'Gaza Man', which evoked chuckles from members of the defence.

However during cross-examination, Neita-Robertson, who is representing Adams, pointed out that the witness used a fake name on three occasions when he gave statements to the Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM).

Neita-Robertson asked, "When you signed the document you were telling a lie?"

"Truthfully yes, sir," the witness said, which also elicited laughter from the defence.


First statement


According to the defence attorney, the witness told INDECOM in his first statement that he recognised two of the police officers, one who he identified as 'Chucky Brown' and the other as 'Gaza', both from the May Pen Police Station.

He agreed that he said that to INDECOM.

She also pressed him on what he said in his first statement that he recognised two of the men.

The witness said, "That was the truth at that time."

Neita-Robertson also suggested that the witness was one of convenience and that he was an untruthful person. He disagreed with both assertions.

In the morning session of yesterday's proceedings, the court was adjourned shortly after noon following a disagreement between the prosecutors and defence attorneys about putting photographs of a crime scene into evidence.

Neita-Roberson told the court that defence lawyers were not served with all the photographs and so they could not agree on what should be allowed to be admitted.

The defence also objected to the Crown's request to adduce three statements said to have been collected from one person saying the signatures on the statements differed, which raised doubt about their authenticity.

The court also heard testimony from INDECOM'S acting chief investigator Owen Wright who said he went to the murder scene.

He also testified to being at Bisson's autopsy on September 9, 2011.

Other News Stories