Suspend Calabar stars from Champs for brawl – teacher
A teacher at the Calabar High School has cried foul against the institution after he reported that two prominent members of the track team assaulted him last year.
Ninety-six days later, he said that he is yet to get an appropriate response from the school's administration.
THE WEEKEND STAR has learnt that the incident took place on December 15.
The matter came to light yesterday after the teacher sent out a press release calling on persons to attend a press conference to be held today from 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. at the Fitz Henley Centre in St Andrew.
The teacher said that he is calling on the Inter-Secondary Schools Sports Association (ISSA) to suspend the boys from competing at this year's Grace/Kennedy ISSA Boys and Girls' Championships.
Calabar's board chairman, Rev Dr Karl Johnson, admitted that some of the institution's star track athletes were implicated in the assault of a teacher, but said that following the incident, the school applied appropriate measures to resolve the matter.
He expressed surprise that a week before Champs, the grouse has resurfaced.
"I can confirm knowledge of the incident. School administrators made several efforts and engaged in initiatives to address the matter. Up to recently, we were of the view the matter was amicably resolved," Johnson said yesterday.
THE WEEKEND STAR was told that the teacher is afraid of going on the school grounds but there were no indications that he had resigned from the institution.