Guyana confirms latest death from COVID-19

July 03, 2020

GEORGETOWN, Guyana, Jul 3, CMC –Guyana health authorities on Friday confirmed that a 34-year-old man had become the latest victim of the coronavirus (COVID-19) and appealed to citizens to continue to follow the necessary measures put in place to curb the spread of the virus.

The Ministry of Public Health said that the man died at the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC) on Thursday and that he had been at the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) since June 23, having been transferred to the GPHC from the Bartica Regional Hospital a day earlier.

The Ministry said the man had become the 14th victim on the island from the pandemic and that the number of persons testing positive for the virus had reached 250 with two more cases on Thursday.

“Persons are again reminded to continue practising social distancing in the workplace, public spaces, and while using public transportation to reduce the spread of the coronavirus disease. They are also reminded to practise frequent hand washing/sanitising and always wear a face mask if they have to go out,” the Ministry said in a statement.

There are currently 120 active cases in isolation at various facilities across Guyana.

We want to hear from you! Email us at star@gleanerjm.com and follow @thejamaicastar on Instagram and on twitter @JamaicaStar, and on Facebook: @TheJamaicaStar. 

Other News Stories