Man City thrash Hull to reach League Cup semis


December 02, 2015
AP Manchester City's Wilfried Bony (left) is tackled by Hull City's Harry Maguire during the English League Cup match between Manchester City and Hull City at the Etihad Stadium, Manchester, England yesterday.
AP Stoke City's Phillip Bardsley celebrates scoring against Sheffield Wednesday during the quarterfinal of the English League Cup at the Britannia Stadium, Stoke-on-Trent, England, yesterday.


Manchester City thrashed Hull 4-1 and advanced to the League Cup semi-finals yesterday, while Everton and Stoke also progressed with victories against second-tier opposition.

Wilfried Bony gave City an early lead, converting after Kevin De Bruyne's low shot from distance rebounded off the post. Substitute Kelechi Iheanacho added the second from close range 10 minutes from full-time after clever play by Jamaica-born Raheem Sterling, and a quick-fire double from De Bruyne completed City's scoring.

His first came after a defensive mix-up by Hull, but the second was a stunning free kick from 25 yards, which was curled into the top corner.

Andrew Robertson got a last-minute consolation goal for Hull.

City were also boosted by Spanish playmaker David Silva returning to the starting line-up after a nine-game absence through injury.

Everton won 2-0 at Middles-brough. Gerard

Deulofeu opened the scoring with an excellent goal, shooting low from the edge of the penalty area after a weaving through the middle of the pitch.

Deulofeu then crossed in for Romelu Lukaku to double Everton's lead eight minutes later, the striker leaping high to arc a header across the Middlesbrough goal.

Stoke beat Sheffield Wednesday 2-0 at Britannia Stadium to reach the semi-finals for the first time since it won the competition in 1972.

Ibrahim Afellay opened the scoring with a neat left-footed volley, and Phil Bardsley scored from a free kick in the second half.

In the last quarter-final, Liverpool travel to Southampton today.

Other Sports Stories