T20 player exodus has forced team to rebuild
Selection chief Clive Lloyd believes the exodus of players like Chris Gayle, AndrE Russell and Lendl Simmons to the lucrative Twenty20 circuit has definitely had a negative impact on the development of the West Indies Test side.
The legendary former West Indies captain said the absence of such players had left the Caribbean side with a vacuum and forced authorities in the region to undertake a rebuilding process.
"You can't fault them (players who have turned to T20s)," Lloyd said.
"The money that is being paid in these shorter games, it's obvious that players are looking towards their future. And, unfortunately, we're missing out. All those guys who we groomed have now left, so we're left with a vacuum, and we now have to fill that."
He continued: "People might say that we're not a top-class side, but some of these guys [in the current squad] have only played four Test matches, and we can't bring anybody from home because they'll be just as raw, or young."
While West Indies have been locked in the current three-Test series against Australia, Gayle, Simmons and Russell have all been campaigning in the Big Bash League here for various franchises.
Former Test and one-day captain Darren Sammy and all-rounder Dwayne Bravo are all also involved in the Big Bash after having retired from the longer format of the game.
West Indies have struggled on tour so far, losing both Tests by significant margins. They went down by an innings and 212 runs in the Hobart opener, before crashing to a 177-run loss in Melbourne last week.
They face Australia in the final Test here starting Sunday.