Sammy: Contracts dispute in the past

by

March 09, 2016
@Normal:Darren Sammy

KOLKATA, India (CMC):

West Indies captain Darren Sammy said yesterday the contracts impasse with the West Indies Cricket Board was a thing of the past and stressed the squad was now fully focused on winning the Twenty20 World Cup.

Prior to leaving the Caribbean, the squad and the board sparred over the new pay structure in the tour contracts, raising fears of a player pull-out for the March 8 to April 3 ICC event here.

However, Sammy told reporters here that all pay issues had been put to a side as cricket now took precedence.

"Once you step out on the cricket field you should not be worried about contracts and other stuff," Sammy said.

"It's about making your country proud. This event means a lot to us as a group. The next World Twenty20 is in 2020 and a few of our guys won't be part of that event so this one is very important for us."

Players complained to the WICB last month over the drastic reduction in pay for the T20 World Cup, contending it represented a decrease of between 50 and 80 per cent.Writing on behalf of the squad, Sammy argued they would be guaranteed only US$27,600 for the tournament, whereas in the past, players raked in between US$57,937 and US$137,045 for ICC tournaments.

The WICB said the new arrangement had come about because of a change in ICC policy on the disbursement of funds, and pointed out that players union, WIPA, had signed off on the new changes.

Sammy, who led West Indies to the capture of the T20 World Cup in Sri Lanka four years ago, said the entire unit was highly motivated to repeat that success.

Other Sports Stories