10 things you should know... 100 days before Rio Olympics
With 100 days to go until the opening ceremony of the Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, here are 10 things you should know:
1. The Rio Olympic Games will take place August 5-21.
2. Rio beat out Chicago, Madrid and Tokyo to win the bid in 2009.
3. This will be the first Olympic Games in South America.
4. Organizers expect to prepare 60,000 meals a day for athletes.
5. Over the course of 17 days, there will be 306 medal events in Rio.
6. There are two new sports this year: Rugby and golf.
7. Track and Field competition includes 47 events: 24 for men, and 23 for women.
8. Copacabana's world famous beaches will host beach volleyball.
9. The Rio Olympic torch will travel through 329 Brazilian towns and cities.
10. The torch will begin its 95-day journey through Brazil on May 3.