Garner rejects 'misleading' Dwayne Bravo comments
ABU DHABI, UAE, CMC:
Manager of the West Indies team on tour of the United Arab Emirates, Joel Garner, has strongly rejected as "misleading" claims of disorganisation in the regional side from veteran all-rounder Dwayne Bravo.
Garner released a statement on Monday saying the team management is "disappointed but not surprised" by Bravo's comments during an interview on i95.5 FM in Trinidad.
The charges and counter charges between Bravo and Garner came on the heels of ordinary performances by West Indies which have resulted in them losing all five limited overs games played so far against Pakistan.
"The management of the West Indies team in Dubai is disappointed but not surprised by the comments made in the press by Dwayne Bravo," the statement said.
"Mr Bravo, with prior permission, by the former head coach, turned up on the day before the first Twenty20 match. His suggestion of disorganisation in the team's plans and preparation is therefore false and misleading".
Apart from suffering a whitewash in the three-match T20 series, West Indies have already lost two of the three One Day International matches and are in danger of losing the final one on Wednesday.
"I was there in Dubai and basically players were lost, the management team looked lost ... we were looking like school kids again," Bravo had said.
But Garner, the former West Indies pacer, says the team was "well prepared" to play Pakistan.
He says part of the preparation included a session on September 10 and 11 in Barbados for physical screening and fitness assessments. Garner also pointed to a seven-day build-up to the first T20 match against Pakistan which included a warm-up match.
"This team was well prepared to engage Pakistan considering the conditions and the adjustments that were necessary to bring meaningful benefits to this team. Whilst change is difficult to manage, none of the players were neglected by the coaching and support staff in the execution of their duties," said Garner.