Destination final for Cornwall College

November 26, 2016
Pagiel Brown (right) of Cornwall College pressures Clarendon College's Creggton Charlton for ball possession during the ISSA-FLOW daCosta Cup semi-final match in Santa Cruz. Cornwall won 2-1 to book a spot in the final.
Clarendon College goalkeeper Benjamin Williams (left) catches the ball ahead of Aiden JKombo (back to camera) of Cornwall College during the ISSA-FLOW daCosta Cup semi-final at St Elizabeth Technical on November 25. Cornwall advanced to the final with a 2-1 win.


One half the 2016 Inter-Secondary Schools Sports Association-FLOW daCosta Cup final pairing is known, as Cornwall College outplayed Clarendon College to come away 2-1 victors to mark their first championship game appearance since 2001.

Giovanni Reid and Aiden Jkomba were on target for Cornwall, who had to withstand a late charge from Clarendon during which time Creggton Charlton managed to score.

Playing without the influence of Peter-Lee Vassell, who later entered the fray as a second-half substitute, and with Jourdaine Fletcher not yet warmed to the occasion, it was left to Reid to provide Cornwall's first threat.

Reid was first to meet a Fletcher corner kick, he outjumped the Clarendon defenders around him to flash a powerful header into the far corner of the goal to give his team the lead in the sixth minute.

But when Charlton, who looked dangerous, particularly in the first half, was allowed to sneak a cross that was drilled into the area to equalise in the 85th minute, many thought the game would again go to the wire.


Without a defeat


But then in the 87th minute, the supremely talented Vassell took charge, darting into the area, drawing the attention of two Clarendon College defenders and when he was challenged, the ball ran loose to Jkomba, who fired into the net to beat Benjamin Williams in the Clarendon goal.

It was a fine victory for Cornwall as they marked a wonderful campaign without a defeat in the daCosta Cup. They have only lost twice all season, once to Lennon in the Ben Francis Cup, and to Wolmers' Boys School in the FLOW Super Cup final.

"The match went to plan except for the Clarendon College late goal. But we showed determination to score late on ourselves to clinch a good win for us," said Dr Dean Weatherly, the Cornwall College head coach.

It was really a disappointing display from Clarendon all told, with little urgency shown in the final third.

They had three attempts on target in the first half, with Charlton coming agonisingly close to scoring in the 15th minute, when a defender nipped the ball of his head, with what seemed a close call.

Then in the 31st minute, the Clarendon aggregation had a shout for penalty ignored by referee Danion Parchment, as the ball cannoned off a Cornwall player inside the area.

Clarendon College team manager Richard Palmer attributed the loss partly to referee's decisions, which he said never went his team's way.

"We are just disappointed that the penalty was not given. It was plain that the player handled the ball inside the area, but we are happy to have come this far, but regret that the journey had to end like this," Palmer said.

Other Sports Stories