Chaos in T&T as coach quits after five weeks
PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad (CMC):
Trinidad and Tobago's football was thrown into chaos yesterday when men's head coach Tom Saintfiet dramatically quit the post after just five weeks and four games in charge, citing a lack of support from the country's football association.
In a statement dated January 10, the 43-year-old Belgian said his appointment had been "second-guessed" from the first day by FA president David John-Williams and with critical 2018 World Cup qualifiers beckoning in March, did not believe he could succeed "in this environment."
Third head coach
Saintfiet's sudden departure leaves the FA scrambling for a third head coach in two months following the sacking of Stephen Hart last November.
Saintfiet made an unflattering start to his tenure, losing three of his four games in charge. In a two-match series away to Nicaragua last month, T&T lost the opening friendly 2-1 before winning the second game 3-1.
Significantly, however, T&T last week lost both games in the Caribbean Cup playoff series, to miss out on any chance of qualifying for the prestigious CONCACAF Gold Cup in July.
They went down 2-1 to Suriname and then succumbed 4-3 to Haiti.
The TTFA said yesterday that the search for a new head coach would start immediately.