England player Barton banned for 18 months

April 27, 2017
Burnley's Joey Barton (left) and Manchester United's Anthony Martial in action during their English Premier League match at Turf Moor in Burnley, England, on Sunday, April 23. Martial scored in United's 2-0 win.


Joey Barton has been suspended from all football activity for 18 months with immediate effect after the Burnley midfielder admitted to a Football Association misconduct charge related to betting.
It is the latest incident in the 34-year-old Barton's troubled career.
In December 2004 while at Manchester City, Barton stubbed a lit cigar in the eye of teammate Jamie Tandy during club Christmas party and was fined six weeks' wages by City.
The following July he was involved in altercation with a 15-year-old Everton fan at Manchester City's team hotel in Bangkok during a preseason tour and fined eight weeks' wages by City after being found guilty of gross misconduct.
In September 2006 he dropped his shorts in the direction of Everton fans following City's 1-1 draw at Everton. In May 2007 he was suspended by City after training-ground altercation with Ousmane Dabo, which left his teammate needing hospital treatment. Barton was charged with assault and received a four-month suspended jail sentence and also punished by FA with a 12-match ban, six matches of which were suspended.
In May 2008 he was jailed for six months after admitting common assault and affray during an incident in Liverpool the previous year and in November 2010 while playing for Newcastle, he punched Blackburn winger Morten Gamst Pedersen during a game at St James' Park and accepted an FA charge and was banned for three games.
In May 2012 while playing for Queens Park Rangers, he was sent off for elbowing Carlos Tevez on the final day of the season at former club Manchester City and kneed Sergio Aguero, and attempted to headbutt Vincent Kompany before being ushered off the field. He was later banned for 12 matches.
In September last year shortly after joining Rangers, Barton was banished from the Glasgow club's training ground following an alleged altercation with teammate Andy Halliday.

Other Sports Stories