Wilson expresses disappointment at Blake's relay outburst

April 27, 2017
A disappointed Yohan Blake after disqualification.
@Normal:Wilson
1
2

Coach Maurice Wilson has expressed surprise and disappointment at the outburst from Yohan Blake blaming technical staff for a botched baton exchange which saw Jamaica disqualified from the men's 4x100m.

"If he (Blake) had a problem then that could have been discussed, but the fact of the matter is we only had available the persons that made themselves available to the JAAA and, in this case, we didn't know the form of many persons coming into the Championships, so we had to look at the recent performances plus what other persons would have done from last year in the team selection," Wilson, who was head of Jamaica's delegation at the IAAF World Relays, told STAR Sports yesterday.

In Saturday's heats, Everton Clarke ran the first leg, passing to Kemar Bailey-Cole who then was to hand over to Jevaughn Minzie.

However, the baton fell, and Blake, who should have run anchor, was left fuming.

"Yohan, myself, (Nickel) Ashmeade and Michael Clarke have been working closely together from about 2010. We would have been a part of a team that broke two world records and numerous gold medal teams, and the reason we were able to work so well was because of good camaraderie and good discussion, so I was disappointed by the utterances of Yohan Blake," Wilson said.

 

NO ILL WILL

 

He said that he understood Blake's disappointment and that he held no ill will towards the athlete.

"I have no issues with Yohan Blake and will never have any issues with Yohan Blake. There is not anything to hash out. He is entitled to his personal opinions. I have had conversations with his agent and his coach and we have an excellent relationship," Wilson said.

"All I'm asking for all athletes to do is to respect the portfolio that the coaches have because we respect them as athletes and there is always room for the dialogue we have had since 2008," he said.

Other Sports Stories