Warner in US$40m CONCACAF countersuit

April 28, 2017
Warner

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad (CMC):

Disgraced former football supremo, Jack Warner, has launched a US$40 million countersuit against continental governing body, CONCACAF, and FIFA Council member Sunil Gulati, for "persistent defamation of character."

In response to a US$20 million lawsuit filed against him last week by CONCACAF in a US Federal Court, the 74-year-old said he had no choice but to instruct his lawyers to initiate legal proceedings.

He argued in a statement that the most recent corruption allegations made against him were "repetitive and ancient", and said he would fight to protect his name and that of his family "to the very end."

"I have been slaughtered for the past six years and have remained silent, ignoring my legal options to respond to the atrocities that have been perpetrated against me by men of the lower ilk," Warner said.

"And so the time has come for me to respond and hence the lawsuit against CONCACAF and Gulati in his personal capacity."

The lawsuit comes against the backdrop of ongoing efforts by the United States Department of Justice to have Warner extradited from his native Trinidad and Tobago to also face charges of racketeering, wire fraud and money laundering conspiracies.

Other Sports Stories