Forth should not have been left alone - Dr Wright

May 04, 2017
Okeem Forth

SPORTS medicine specialist Dr Paul Wright said footballer Okeem Forth, who died after being substituted with an injury in a recent Major League quarter-final match, should not have been left on his own by medical personnel on duty at Constant Spring.

Forth, who was allegedly elbowed in the neck while representing Olympic Gardens against Molynes United, died approximately an hour-and-a-half after he was rushed to Andrew's Memorial Hospital on Hope Road, St Andrew.


Sat behind the goal


Forth went down during the incident but was told by the referee to get up. After being seen by medical personnel on the field, he exited on his own after being substituted.

The player did not go to his bench but instead sat behind the goal at the Tax Office end. He afterwards complained of feeling weak and called for help. Medical personnel and members of the ambulance team went to his assistance after which he was stretchered to the ambulance and taken to hospital, where he died at approximately 10 p.m.

Wright said the player should have been kept under observation by medical personnel on duty at the match.

"The medical team is on duty for everybody including players, team officials and spectators. When a player comes off the field injured, it is the duty of the medical team to assess that player and make a determination," Dr Wright explained to STAR Sports.

"You can't have people on the bench who don't know about sports injury. You can't have a dentist on the bench. The medical person must properly make an assessment and stay with the player," he emphasised.

Forth represented Tivoli Gardens High in the 2016 Manning Cup and was in his last year at the institution.

He had given his team the lead in the 67th minute, 16 minutes before the incident. Ramone Rose equalised for Molynes in time added. After 1-1 at the end of regular and extra-time, Molynes advanced to the semi-final, winning 4-1 on penalty kicks.

Other Sports Stories