Holder tells batsmen to train for England
Captain Jason Holder says that West Indies need to find solutions to their batting woes by the time the next one-day series rolls around against England in September.
Speaking following their eight-wicket defeat to India in the fifth One-Day International last Thursday, which dealt the hosts a 3-1 series loss, Holder said there were issues that needed to be addressed and urged players to go away and work on developing their game over the next two months.
"We've got to find ways to rotate the strike more in our middle overs. Batsmen have got starts in this series but not carried on," the 25-year-old pointed out.
"I think we've got roughly a month or two before our one-day series against England. That's a perfect opportunity for guys, especially those not playing Test cricket, to go back and work on their game and try to enhance their game by the time we start in England."
Needing a victory to snatch a share of the honours in the five-match series, West Indies again batted poorly and were restricted to an inadequate 205 for nine off their 50 overs.
FAILED TO CARRY ON
Top-scorer Shai Hope (51) and his older brother, Kyle Hope, (46), along with Holder with 34, all got started but failed to carry on.
Holder said that the innings had been hurt by the inability of the set players to push on for a big score.
"We weren't able to keep our wickets in tact at crucial stages of the game, and we lost wickets every time we seemed to be gathering momentum," the Barbadian all-rounder pointed out.
"We can't put it down to the pitch. It was just poor shot selection at the time. I felt a few of our batsmen got out with some big overs where we could have consolidated a little bit more and pushed the game a little deeper."
West Indies are scheduled to play England in their next one-day series from September 19-29.