Makwala vows to 'rise again'

August 09, 2017
Makwala

LONDON (AP):

Isaac Makwala was turned away from the Olympic Stadium yesterday after being ruled ineligible to compete at the world championships because of a stomach bug that has affected about 30 people at one of the official hotels.

Makwala was withdrawn from the 400-metre final by the IAAF about five hours before the race, but he had earlier posted on his Facebook page that he was feeling fine.

"I still maintain I am not sick and have never been tested by any Doctor. I shall rise again," he said.

On Monday, he pulled out of the 200 heats because of the virus but had hoped to run in the 400 final.

The IAAF said in a statement that Makwala was withdrawn because he was "diagnosed with an infectious disease" on Monday.

Last month, Makwala became the first man to run 200 meters under 20 seconds and 400 under 44 seconds on the same day at a meet in Madrid. He also has the top time over 200 this season (19.77 seconds) and has the third-best mark in the 400.

The virus hit about 30 athletes and staff. Nine people were still being affected, according to the IAAF.

Other Sports Stories