Barcelona bring in Dembele to try to replace Neymar
Barcelona is shoring up its attack by buying Ousmane Dembele from Borussia Dortmund in a deal that could reach €147 million (about US$173 million), second only to Neymar's world-record transfer to Paris Saint-Germain.
Barcelona said yesterday that the 20-year-old Dembele will be officially introduced after undergoing a physical and signing his contract on Monday.
The club will pay €105 million (US$124 million) plus possible add-ons. "Contingent payments" could reach about 40 per cent of the fixed transfer fee, Dortmund said in a statement.
Barcelona said Dembele's contract will have a buyout clause of €400 million (US$472 million).
It is bringing him in to try to improve its attack after Neymar left for Paris Saint-Germain for more than €220 million (US$260 million) just before the start of the season.
FINED AND SUSPENDED
Dembele was fined and suspended by Dortmund recently after skipping training without permission. He reportedly refused all contact with the club after Barcelona made him an offer.
Dortmund reportedly turned down Barcelona's opening bid of €85 million (US$100 million) to acquire the player who played in attack for France against England in June in a friendly.
Quick and skilful, Dembele is touted as one of France's most promising players along with 18-year-old Kylian Mbappe of Monaco.
Dembele moved to Dortmund from Rennes last year in a transfer worth €15 million (about US$16.7 at the time).
He scored six goals and set up 13 others in 32 Bundesliga games last season. His contract with Dortmund was valid until 2021.