Dembele to be out for months with torn tendon

September 18, 2017
Ousmane Dembele celebrates after scoring his side's third goal while on international duty for France against England at the Stade de France in Paris in June.

BARCELONA, Spain (AP):

Barcelona will be without Ousmane Dembele, the most expensive signing in the history of the Spanish club, for at least three months after he tore a tendon in his left thigh that will require surgery.

Barcelona said yesterday that Dembele will be sidelined for three to four months after he injured his leg during the first half of Saturday's 2-1 win at Getafe in the Spanish league.

The club said that the 20-year-old Dembele will travel to Finland next week to undergo surgery by Dr Sakari Orava.

The match in Madrid was the France forward's third appearance for Barcelona.

Last month, Barcelona paid Borussia Dortmund €105 million ($124 million) in a deal for Dembele that included possible add-ons that could add an additional 40 percent of the fee, meaning the final cost could reach €147 million (about $173 million).

Dembele was brought in to replace Neymar after the Brazil striker bolted for Paris Saint-Germain on a world-record move of €222 million ($262 million).

Other Sports Stories