TG overpower Humble Lion

November 13, 2017


Second-half goals from Howard Morris (57') and Colorado Murray (75') enabled Tivoli Gardens to ease by an uninspired Humble Lion outfit at The Edward Seaga Sports Complex yesterday, but Tivoli's head coach Omar Edwards was not impressed with his team's first-half performance.

"We did not do as well in the first half as I thought we were supposed to," lamented Edwards, during the post-match interview." Nevertheless, defensive organisation was there and we managed to ride out the first half and we came out in the second half and managed to score two good goals."

Tivoli started second best after a ferocious opening 15 minutes from the visitors with Rohan Richards providing the early spark for the Lions with some fancy footwork on the right flank as he drew fouls in the opening stanza of the contest.

Humble Lion should have gone in front as early as the fifth minute through Gary McIntosh after Tivoli Gardens captain, Romaine Brakenbridge, played a lackadaisical back pass to his goalkeeper Davin Watkins.

McIntosh was again in on goal moments later but did more to frustrate the travelling fans than the Tivoli custodian as his breakaway run on goal fizzled to a mere goal kick.

Tivoli found their footing after 30 minutes with intricate one-touch passes in the midfield much to the delight of the supporters, but failed to establish any significant threat in the final third as crosses found either the head of a Humble Lion defender or the gloves of shot-stopper Jovel Plunkett.




However, Tivoli's passes began to prove too much for the Humble Lion defence when Andrew Vanzie brought down Tivoli's Murray.

Humble Lion, though, failed to capitalise in the closing stages of the first half due to poor finishing, as captain Kevon Reid was left open in the box, but flashed a sumptuous Ricardo Dennis set-piece delivery wide when his header failed to trouble Watkins. Former Reggae Boy Wolry Wolfe added to the Lion's first-half blunders after a golden opportunity to take the lead was charged down by Tevin Shaw with a last-ditch defensive effort.

The second-half belonged to the Tivoli unit who, as indicated by Edwards, were happy to be playing on home soil.

It took the diminutive Morris 12 minutes after the resumption to break the deadlock when he headed home from close range to breathe life into the game after a lifeless first half.

Three points were secured after Murray was quicker to react to a loose ball close to the half-line and charged toward goal in a solo effort which saw him slotting the ball past the an onrushing Plunkett.

Humble Lion head coach Lenworth Hyde pointed to defensive shortcomings as part of his team's downfall.

Other Sports Stories