More positive COVID-19 results from JFF camp

February 11, 2021
A Reggae Boyz training session at the UWI/JFF/Captain Horace Burrell Centre of Excellence on Tuesday, August 27, 2019.
A Reggae Boyz training session at the UWI/JFF/Captain Horace Burrell Centre of Excellence on Tuesday, August 27, 2019.

STAR Sports understands that four Reggae Boyz and a senior Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) official returned positive COVID-19 test results after their teammates returned home, adding to the two that tested positive prior to their training camp being shut down by the Government last weekend.

The camp, which was convened at the UWI/JFF/Captain Horace Burrell Centre of Excellence, was issued with a cease and desist order because the JFF did not receive permission to host it.

A Reggae Boy who was at the JFF training camp says, however, all players involved returned negative COVID-19 tests before their departure. But the player, who requested anonymity because of a gag order placed on them by the JFF, said that all the players did a final test after the Government halted the camp.

"When we went on camp, everybody did their test and training did not start until the results came back," he said. "Two players tested positive and those two players were already in one room. They had doctors from UWI to check on them to ensure everything was right. They (positive players) then did a test after and everything came back good (negative)."

The team was in training for more than a week when the stop order came. However, the player confirmed they all had to await their final results before they left, and there was no indication of any positive result.

"After they called the camp, we did a test again and everybody came back negative," he said. "I don't know of [four other players contracting the coronavirus]. But, Monday, everybody left after we got the results, as we were basically waiting for the test to leave."

STAR Sports reached out to team manager Roy Simpson, JFF General Secretary Dalton Wint, and team doctor Guyan Arscott for a response but all calls went unanswered.

STAR Sports also understands that head coach Theodore Whitmore had intended to call off the camp before the order was passed.

The players were called into camp to prepare for an international friendly match against Bermuda, a follow-up to the team meeting in Montego Bay last March.

But STAR Sports learned that Whitmore was not happy with what he saw as a lack of support after rejected requests made to his superiors.

But the player says everything was going smoothly until the order came.

"Coach was there training us and we were doing everything that is right," he said. "We were all just waiting for the game, the 27th of this month."

It is understood that a contingency date was, however, set for March, in case of setbacks.

The player says the JFF has not yet emailed the players informing them of the next course of action.

Other Sports Stories