July 5, 2012
10-Y-O CHOKED, ABUSED AT CHURCH
Andre Williams, STAR Writer
An irate mother is demanding answers following the discovery that a Sabbath School teacher at a Corporate Area Adventist church physically assaulted her 10-year-old son when he attended the place of worship, THE STAR has learnt.
Information reaching THE STAR is that the child was allegedly grabbed, choked and slammed into a wall by the female tutor causing him to receive multiple cuts and bruises.
When the child visited our offices to share the story, the marks on his skin appeared fresh. They were visible on his neck, above his lip, above his right eye, across his chest and arm.
"She draw me by my hand then started to choke me until I couldn't breathe. When I felt as if I was losing air, I swung my hands and it caught her in her belly. She let mi go and grab me again," expressed young Mario Newbyas he related the incident.
It is reported that Mario was apprehended by the teacher because he had been involved in a tussle with another boy of said age in the church yard.
THE STAR was told that Mario's appearance after the incident led to him being attended to by another member at the church, who simply removed the blood and applied some dressing.
The child's mother, Renee Prince, has taken issue with this claiming, "Dem wipe off blood off the child and send him home. No call was made to me his mother."
She continued, "Since this happen a number of reports have surfaced of allegations of other children being beaten over that church."
Efforts to speak with the Pastor of the church proved futile however Prince told THE STAR that she contacted the pastor and enlightened him of the incident to which he claimed to have had no knowledge.
"The pastor said to me that he thought I was gonna make him handle it... But mi tell him true mi son go him church, mi just a make him know what happen. But the matter is gonna be dealt with by the police," said Prince.
THE STAR was told that since the incident, only two church members have called to register their concern.
Our news-team was told that an offer was made through a mutual source to settle out of court however Prince is showing no signs of compromise as the matter has been reported to the Constant Spring Police.
An officer at the Station confirmed receiving a report and said investigations into the allegations are at an advanced stage.
THE STAR was reliably informed that a report of assault occasioning bodily harm was tabled and the police are awaiting the medical report before they make an arrest, which sources conclude would take place very soon.