July 20, 2012
Dream wedding turns dreadful
PAULA GORDON, Staff Reporter
What was supposed to be a blissful event turned into disaster for a couple that came to Jamaica to get married last Saturday.
"I watched my wedding crumble before my eyes. This is the worst experience I ever had, it was devastating." Alicia Walters-Jones told THE WEEKEND STAR in a recent interview.
Information received is that the newly-weds tied their nuptials in a twilight ceremony at a hotel in Negril.
It is alleged that around 6 p.m. the event began, but at 10:30 p.m., a man who had been acting on behalf of the manager ordered that the lights and music be turned off.
THE WEEKEND STAR understands that this led to a dispute between the man and the couple.
According to Walters-Jones, about 70 persons had gathered from Jamaica and the United States to witness the event, however, the ceremony she said had to be put on pause for about 45 minutes as there was a downpour of rain.
harassing the deejay
"When I went upstairs to change into another dress and came back, my guests were leaving, it was chaos," she said.
The bride further alleges that while the cake was being cut a man unknown to her began harassing the deejay, staff and guests.
She noted that a local jerk vendor who was contracted to come on the property to treat their guests to a midnight snack was turned away, and that a bonfire that was to be done as part of the wedding package was never fulfilled.
A Jamaican relative of the groom who was in attendance at the ceremony told THE WEEKEND STAR that the incident was an embarrassment, especially for the Jamaicans present.
According to the relative, at 10:30 p.m. an announcement was made that the last song would be played. When the couple went to find out what was happening, they were allegedly told that the hotel had other guests.
"They said the lady who booked them did the contract for 11 p.m., when they asked to see the contract the gentleman started getting up in the bride's face. When another family member tried to intervene he showed her a finger," she said.
At the same time, the bride said that there were only two other couples staying at the hotel and that precaution had been taken to let them know that a wedding was being held on the property.
The couple is now adamant that they should be compensated.
"My husband was born here and it meant a lot for us to come back here. We are quite clear that the (hotel) ... should feel the end of this. This is not how you treat people and certainly not on their wedding day," she said.
THE WEEKEND STAR now understands that a boycott will be launched against the hotel.
When contacted, the manager/partner, who had been travelling at the time, said there were a series of events leading up to the incident which could have been dealt with better on both sides.
"It was stipulated that there was gonna be an 11 p.m. shutdown ... The bride and groom were supposed to rent a tent in case it rained and they didn't. They were on the veranda where other guests were," he said.
Nevertheless, he acknowledged that the incident should not have occurred under any circumstance.
"I express my deepest sorrow for the incident. The gentleman who was the source, was sent home. He is a friend of a business partner, basically he was helping out," he said.
In the meantime, the manager said that the isolated incident should not be used to judge the hotel, which has a superb track record.