Home - The Star
November 13, 2012
Star Sport


Coach Price: It feels good
Nodley Wright, STAR Writer

Boys' Town's Parkes ... scored a scorcher. - file

Boys' Town Football Club claimed the first prize on offer from the 2012/2013 Red Stripe Premier League (RSPL) when they defeated leaders Harbour View 2-0 to lift the end-of-first-round trophy and collect a prize money of $250,000.00.

An own goal from Rondell Morris in the 21st minute and a wonderful strike in the 77th minute from Romeo Parkes, a man on a mission to get back into the Reggae Boyz squad, provided the ammunition for Boys' Town. It was the Collie Smith Drive's first silverware in the league since their return to top-flight football a few years ago.

"It feels good," Andrew Price, coach of Boys' Town, said of the feeling the victory brought.

"The lads put out a good effort, they played hard, they played as a unit," continued Price, who said his team now needs to make winning a habit. That habit will push the western Kingston-based team closer to their goal of winning the the league title when the competition ends in May.

Celebrations, he said, will be kept to a minimum as the the big prize is still some way away and Harbour View are still in an advantageous position in that race.

"Our main goal is to challenge for the title. We are three points behind Harbour View, so right now we have to try to accumulate points," he added.

Harbour View coach Vin Blaine expressed the view that poor finishing cost his team the game.

"We just did not score the goals. We got the chances, but did not put them away," Blaine said.

"We got chances right in front of goal. At least three chances but did not put them away," added Blaine.

Blaine's observation of the game was spot on as they controlled the game, created and took more shots on goal but were kept at bay by the solid keeping of Kirk Porter, and poor shooting. John-Ross Edwards and substitute Roland Dean were among those who should have had Porter retrieve the ball from his net.

Once the hard-running Parkes blasted past Deon Haughton one time in goal for Harbour View from about 20 yards after being teed up by his strike partner Rafiek Thomas, there was no way back for Harbour View. The momentum swung in Boys' Town's favour as they became energised and camped in Harbour View's half.


Bookmark and Share
Home | Gleaner Blogs | Gleaner Online | Go-Jamaica | Go-Local | Feedback | Disclaimer | Advertisement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us