Home - The Star
January 24, 2013
Star Sport


 

King told he can leave Birmingham

King

Former Reggae Boy striker Marlon King could be shown the door at Birmingham FC, as the club continue to face serious financial constraints.

Despite having a strong season for the Blues, establishing himself as the club's top scorer with 12 goals, the forward is reported to be among five players told that they can leave the club during the January transfer window.

The player, who signed a three-year deal with Birmingham from Coventry in 2011, has settled well at the St Andrew venue scoring a total of 30 goals since. However, according to Sky Sports, due to massive financial struggles, the player has been told that he can leave on a free transfer despite having 18 months left on his current contract in order to lighten the club's wage bill. The move is aimed at preventing the club from going into administration.

With the players outstanding play so far this season, currently eighth in the league's top scorers list, a number of clubs are expected to be interested in the 32-year-old's services. Among them are said to be King's former club Wigan Athletic, Cardiff City, Blackburn Rovers, Bolton Wanderers, Nottingham Forest and the solitary Premier League club in the mix, Norwich City.

The other players said to be facing a similar situation to King are Jack Butland, Nathan Redmond, Chris Burke and Nikola Zigic.

It is hope that King, who called time on his international career in November of last year, will secure a move before the close the January transfer window.

Bookmark and Share
Home | Gleaner Blogs | Gleaner Online | Go-Jamaica | Go-Local | Feedback | Disclaimer | Advertisement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us