Home - The Star
January 29, 2013
Star Sport


Harbour View blank Cavalier in second end-of-round final

Evan Taylor ... had an outstanding game in midfield for Harbour View. - file

National player Evan Taylor put in a man-of-the-match performance last night to help fire Harbour View to an easy 2-0 victory over a lacklustre Cavalier in the second end-of-round final of the Red Stripe Premier League at the Waterhouse Mini-Stadium.

Taylor, a 24-year-old midfielder with 11 national caps, produced two telling passes which both ended in goals for the Stars of the East, who eased up on the throttle in the second half after going into the break with a two-goal lead.

Harbour View's coach Vin Blaine praised his players for their excellent play.

"The lads played well," Blaine said. He added that they displayed on the field the things they had done in practice sessions leading up to the match.

It was Evan Taylor's precise pass from deep in midfield which cut through the Cavalier defence, and provided Joel Senior with the chance to hit past goalkeeper Garriece McPherson in the 16th minute.

The second goal came on the stroke of half-time. Evan Taylor floated a pass over the Cavalier defence and found Jermaine Hue unmarked on the left. Hue controlled well and then rifled a fierce left shot which deflected off a defender on its way past McPherson.


Earlier it was Cavalier who settled first after the opening whistle by Bahamian referee Wilson DaCosta. Main marksman Claudious Blackburn started on the left then switched to the right as he attempted to unsettle the Harbour View defender.

Harbour View gradually picked up the pace of the match and gained full control of midfield with the on loan Reno man, Evan Taylor, starting to pull the strings from deep and Hue linking up with the forwards from further up the field.

The opening goal took a lot of the sting out of Cavalier, and they were down and out when Hue found the second goal in first half injury time.

After the break, Harbour View, who had taken complete control of midfield from midway the first half, continued to have their way, and it took two excellent saves from goalkeeper McPherson to keep the score respectable.

First McPherson brought off a brilliant save in the 62nd minute to deny Donovan Edwards after a combination with Hue. Then in the 73rd minute he was again called on to save a shot from Ronique Muir.

Cavalier made an early change in the second half to get more urgency in their attacks, bringing on Chevone Marsh and Fabian Nethersole but the robust Harbour View defence, marshalled by the no-nonsense Chris Harvey, held firm and denied them any clear shooting chances.

The winners collected $250,000 in prize money while runners-up Cavalier received $150,000.

Bookmark and Share
Home | Gleaner Blogs | Gleaner Online | Go-Jamaica | Go-Local | Feedback | Disclaimer | Advertisement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us