Home - The Star
February 2, 2013
Star News


Boyfriend of missing J'can in custody

Chief Prosecutor on the island of St Maarten Hans Mos has reportedly confirmed that the boyfriend of a Jamaican woman working on the island who has been missing since December 22 last year has been taken into custody. However, there has been no confirmation on whether the boyfriend, Valindo P. Wallace, has been charged.

Information reaching THE STAR is that police searched Wallace's home on Friday and several items were seized. Police, however, remain tightlipped about what those items were. Several unsuccessful attempts were made to reach the chief prosecutor. A clerk at his office said he was either in a meeting or had just left the office for a meeting. However, one of Lynch's co-workers and her daughter Sanya Bennett confirmed that they had been informed of Wallace's detention.

Prior to yesterday, the police in St Maarten had conducted three island-wide searches looking for the missing woman who is from Negril in Westmoreland but who had been living in St. Maarten for the past three years. She had been working at Pineapple Pete's for just over a year, her daughter Sanya confirmed.

On the night of December 22, shortly after 10 p.m. co-workers said Lynch left work and was picked up by her boyfriend Wallace. Wallace, who is also Jamaican, told THE STAR that he did not pick Lynch up fro work but somewhere away from work. She had called him and told him where to find her, he said. He told THE STAR that he had taken her home and informed her to get some rest because she had work at noon the next day. He said he left her there and went to his own home and that was the last time he saw her.


Investigations into Lynch's disappearance since that time turned up nothing. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade (MFAFT) informed the STAR that they had been in touch with the St Maarten Police Corps through the Jamaican High Commissioner in Trinidad, Sharon Saunders. The high commissioner was informed recently that all leads the police had in the case had turned up nothing. The MFAFT said however, that even though the matter was in the hands of the St Maarten Police Corps, it would do everything in its power to assist the investigations from this end.

Bookmark and Share
Home | Gleaner Blogs | Gleaner Online | Go-Jamaica | Go-Local | Feedback | Disclaimer | Advertisement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us