Home - The Star
February 7, 2013
Star News


 

Vehicle catches fire in parking lot

Diandra Grandison, Star Writer

There was a lot of panic on Hope Road last night, after a Toyota Fortuner motor vehicle caught fire in the parking lot of a furniture store in the Liguanea area.

According to pedestrians who saw the incident, the vehicle went ablaze about 9 p.m.

A security guard who works in the area told THE STAR, "The driver said he saw smoke coming from the front of the car while he was driving down Hope Road, so he stopped to get some water to throw on it."

But according to spectators who saw the incident, it came as a surprise when the vehicle combusted.

ketch a fire

"The driver did come ask me fi some wata but me tell him me neva av none, so him go over the gas station and get an extinguisher. By the time him come back, di vehicle ketch a fire," a vendor in the area told THE STAR.

But according to persons on the scene, they were most perturbed after the man returned empty-handed, because he was reportedly told that the gas station did not have a fire extinguisher on hand.

However, the Half-Way Tree Fire Brigade was later called to quell the fire. The charred remains of the SUV was hauled to the Matilda's Corner Police Station.

According to a police officer at the station, "No one was injured, the vehicle developed electrical problems, the driver is too traumatised to speak to the media."

Further investigations by THE STAR revealed that the luxury vehicle is owned by the Canadian Brothers Development Limited.

Bookmark and Share
Home | Gleaner Blogs | Gleaner Online | Go-Jamaica | Go-Local | Feedback | Disclaimer | Advertisement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us