Home - The Star
December 6, 2013
Star News


 

857lb ganja case put off to December 11
Christopher Thomas, STAR Writer

WESTERN BUREAU:

Four St James men, arrested following the seizure of 857 pounds of ganja by a police party last year, will have their case mentioned in the Montego Bay Resident Magistrate's Court on Wednesday, December 11.

Fifty-six-year-old mechanic Peter Chin, from Roehampton district; 54-year-old gardener Delroy Crawford, from Over River district; 53-year-old Ansel Marson, also a gardener, from John's Hall; and 38-year-old bus driver, Dalton Wright, from Catherine Hall, had their bails extended when their case was mentioned December 3 to allow the prosecution time to complete its file.

Allegations are that at approximately midnight on September 18, 2012, a police team received information which led them to conduct a search of a property at Unity Hall, St James. During the search, 19 bags, with 857 pounds of vegetable matter resembling ganja, were found.

The four, who were on the property, were placed in custody and charged two days later.

Yesterday, clerk of the court Natalie Malcolm told magistrate Carolyn Tie that a number of outstanding police statements had recently been submitted for addition to the case file.

"The statements are now in and I will ask for a further mention date to look at those statements," said Malcolm.

"Would a date next week be good for you?" asked Tie.

"Any date that is convenient to the court," Malcolm answered.

"All four of you are to return here on December 11, and your bails are extended," Tie addressed the four defendants.

Bookmark and Share
Home | Gleaner Blogs | Gleaner Online | Go-Jamaica | Go-Local | Feedback | Disclaimer | Advertisement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us