Home - The Star
December 10, 2013
Star News


Elderly man perishes in blaze
Andre' Williams, STAR Writer

A policeman stands looking at the burnt remains of a house on Seaview Road in Stony Hill yesterday. The fire reportedly happened at 10:40 a.m. yesterday and left David 'Rusty' Ferron, believed to be in his late 60s, dead. Investigators say the fire may have been caused by electrical problems. - Paul Robinson

Residents of Seaview Road in Stony Hill were left saddened and in shock after an elderly man perished in a fire that engulfed his home yesterday.

THE STAR understands that at about 10:40 a.m., a unit from the Stony Hill Fire Department was summoned, nearly 200 metres from their premises, to the fire which was raging.

Information reaching our news team is that during the cooling-down exercise, the body of the deceased, David 'Rusty' Ferron, believed to be in his late 60s, was discovered lying face down in the one-room board structure.

When our news team arrived on the scene, scores of residents and onlookers gathered in groups trying to surmise what led to the fire.

"All now mi can't believe say Rusty just dead so. Him jus left mi out a di market and tell mi say him a go home go watch movie show," expressed a woman.

A male resident said, "Di man just pass mi down the road wid a DVD ina him hand and a man ask him weh him a go do with that and him say him a go test it out. Not even three minutes good we start see smoke ... bwoy mi just can't believe say Rusty gone"

Our news team was later informed by the residents that on a normal day, Ferron would have been positioned by his clothing stall near Stony Hill Square.

THE STAR was told that Ferron, who lived alone, had been residing in the community for more than 40 years, having relocated from the Santa Maria district in Brandon Hill, Clarendon.

There was no immediate family on hand to provide details requested of the deceased.

Residents told our news team that there was no loud explosion and pointed to a gas cylinder that was still in place.

THE STAR also gathered that this occasion marked the second time that the structure had caught fire.

Preliminary investigation say that it would appear that the fatal fire was caused from electrical problems.

The Stony Hill police said their investigation is ongoing.

Bookmark and Share
Home | Gleaner Blogs | Gleaner Online | Go-Jamaica | Go-Local | Feedback | Disclaimer | Advertisement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us