Home - The Star
January 24, 2014
Star News



 

Eighty per cent of St Mary roads cleared

State minister in the Ministry of Transport, Works and Housing, Richard Azan, said the National Works Agency (NWA) has cleared most of the roads in St Mary that were blocked by landslides associated with heavy rains in the parish.

Minister Azan, who on Tuesday toured the affected areas where he met with residents, and made note of damage to homes and properties, told reporters work was continuing by the NWA to open all roads and return the parish to normalcy.

"The technical team is working overtime to reopen the roads. So far, about 80 per cent have been cleared. We can have the residents go in and out of the communities," he stated.

Azan noted that there were areas that had been "totally cut off" due to severe damage to roadways.

assessment

He said the technical team was doing an assessment and a report on the damage was to be presented to Minister Omar Davies by Friday, so he could make a Cabinet submission on Monday for further response to the residents and the commencement of road repairs.

He said evaluations were still being carried out. The St Mary Parish Council made an initial estimate of the damage at about $180 million.

"The mayor told me that the local-government figure is about $180 million. The NWA figure should be much bigger than that. I appeal to the residents. I noted your concerns, you need the roads, and you need them in the shortest possible time."

"Funding is one of the major problems, but we are working to make sure that we can correct some of these problems," the state minister said.

Bookmark and Share
Home | Gleaner Blogs | Gleaner Online | Go-Jamaica | Go-Local | Feedback | Disclaimer | Advertisement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us