January 24, 2014
Bail extended for men on cocaine-trafficking charge
Christopher Thomas, STAR Writer
Four St James men who were arrested last June for allegedly transporting cocaine in a motor car had their bails extended until February 5, when they appeared in the Montego Bay Resident Magistrate's Court yesterday.
Fifty-four-year-old bus driver, Robert Davis, of a Providence Heights address; 41-year-old bus driver, Howard Scott, of Irwin; 38-year-old Omar Scott, of John's Hall; and 52-year-old vendor, Norman Griffiths, also of John's Hall, are charged with possession of and trafficking in cocaine. They were given the return date of February 5 to allow the prosecution time to review its now-completed case file.
It is alleged that, on June 7, 2013, a police team, acting on information, followed two motor cars along the Providence main road heading towards Ironshore.
cocaine found on seat
The cars were eventually intercepted and searched and a plastic bag containing five pounds of cocaine was found on the back passenger seat in one of the vehicles. The four men who were in the cars were subsequently arrested.
Yesterday, Resident Magistrate Carolyn Tai confirmed with clerk of the court Natalie Malcolm that the forensic certificate, which had previously been outstanding, was now on the file.
"Is the forensic certificate on file?" asked RM Tai.
"Yes, your honour," Malcolm replied.
"So you need time to review it," RM Tai added.
"Yes, your honour," said Malcolm.
Meanwhile, attorney-at-law Martyn Thomas, who represented the four defendants, made an application to have Howard Scott's cellular phone, which was confiscated at the time of his arrest, returned to him.
"There was a cellular phone that was taken from Howard Scott, which contains his business contacts. I wonder if that could be returned to him," said Thomas.
"Do you have any instructions on that?" RM Tai addressed Malcolm.
"No, your honour," said Malcolm.
The four defendants subsequently had their bails extended until February 5.