Home - The Star
January 30, 2014
Star News



 

Assault sentence suspended for St James resident
Christopher Thomas, STAR Writer

A St James man, who had previously come before the Montego Bay Resident Magistrate's Court for assaulting his daughter along the roadway, was given a suspended sentence on Monday.

The 35-year-old man from Montego Bay had pleaded guilty on January 21 to assault occasioning actual bodily harm, committed against his 15-year-old daughter. He was given a one-year prison term, suspended for two years, and was ordered to undergo mediation sessions with a probation officer.

The facts are that earlier this month, the accused man accosted his daughter in Montego Bay, while she was walking with friends, and slapped her in her face.

He had previously told the court that he only attacked the child, who lives at a separate address, because she ignored him when he called to her. However, the teenager had told the court that he would hit her anytime they saw each other.

On Monday, the accused begged Resident Magistrate Carolyn Tai to give him a chance to make amends with his daughter.

"I just need a chance to go out and be a good father to my daughter," he said.

"Sir, I do not think you know what it is to be a good father," RM Tai answered. "The problem is you; you need help for yourself because you do not know your child, and you beat your child for no reason.

The probation officer will have to work with you for the next two years so you can learn how to be a good father," RM Tai continued, as she handed down the suspended sentence.

Bookmark and Share
Home | Gleaner Blogs | Gleaner Online | Go-Jamaica | Go-Local | Feedback | Disclaimer | Advertisement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us