Home - The Star
March 20, 2014
Star News



 

Bail offer reduced for accused scammer
Christopher Thomas, STAR Writer

WESTERN BUREAU:

A St James man, who was arrested after paraphernalia connected to the illicit lottery scam was reportedly found at his house last year, had his bail offer reduced when he was brought before the Montego Bay Resident Magistrate's Court yesterday.

Nineteen-year-old O'Bryan Cover, who is of a Catadupa address, is charged with possession of identity information in relation to the lottery scam. His original bail offer of $300,000 was reduced to $200,000 following an application by his attorney, Karl Singh, and his case was set for mention on June 18.

The court was told that on November 22, 2013, a joint police and military operation went to Cover's house with a search warrant. During a search of the premises, 26 lead sheets with contact information of persons living overseas were reportedly found, and Cover was subsequently arrested and charged.

Yesterday, attorney Singh asked Resident Magistrate Carolyn Tie to reduce Cover's bail offer, which had previously been made on December 3 last year, as the defendant was unable to afford the amount.

"He was granted bail in the sum of $300,000, but to date he is unable to take up his bail," Singh said of Cover. "His mother is the only one here for him, and she might be able to afford $200,000," the attorney added.

"I will reduce the bail amount to $200,000, with three sureties," said RM Tie.

The court was also told that the prosecution's case file was still incomplete, as checks had not been made to verify the names on the confiscated sheets.

The case was subsequently set for mention on June 18.

Bookmark and Share
Home | Gleaner Blogs | Gleaner Online | Go-Jamaica | Go-Local | Feedback | Disclaimer | Advertisement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us