Home - The Star
April 15, 2014
Star News



A promoter who allegedly came out of hiding some four months after being accused of setting a patron ablaze at a pool party in Kingston was dragged before the Corporate Area Resident's Magistrate's Court last Friday.

The accused, 20-year-old Omari Riley, of a downtown Kingston address, is charged with assault occasioning grievous bodily harm.

Riley pleaded not guilty when the matter was called up.

The court heard that Riley, the promoter of a pool party, allegedly wrapped a sleeping patron in plastic and set fire to him at an Oxford Road location, where he attended his party.

The complainant appeared in court with burnt marks that were visible all over his skin.

While he stood to state his claim, the courtroom was in complete silence as everyone wanted to hear what transpired that could have yielded such an outcome.

He told the court that he was admitted to hospital for four months during which the accused perpetrator had been hiding from investigators with whom he had made a report.

The complainant said, "Him and him friend wrap me up ina plastic bag ... and dem use thinner to light me a fire. When me jump up and rush to the pipe it melted in my hands, me start bawl murder and the people call the police and dem carry me go KPH."

The court was also told that the complainant was kicked by Riley, who he allegedly heard call his name before he was engulfed in flames.

"Your Honour, me answer and say me good but me did really want sleep," the complainant said.

Senior Resident Magistrate Judith Pusey asked why the man was not before the courts until now, and was told that he had left the community for a while and was nabbed after he resurfaced thinking that things were calm.

Riley was further remanded and is to return to court on April 29.

He was ordered to give his fingerprints to the police.

Bookmark and Share
Home | Gleaner Blogs | Gleaner Online | Go-Jamaica | Go-Local | Feedback | Disclaimer | Advertisement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us