Home - The Star
May 6, 2014
Star News



 

Facebook meeting leads to rape
Rasbert Turner, Star Writer

Three of four men who are accused of raping a teenager whom they met on the social network sight, Facebook, were remanded when they appeared in the Spanish Town Resident Magistrate's Court yesterday.

When the case was mentioned, an attorney-at-law made a lengthy bail application on behalf of one of the men. She told the court that the accused is now 18 years old and that his mother had secured the assistance of an elderly relative who will supervise his every movement if granted bail.

Bail was, however, denied by the court after it was revealed that the accused was one of two from the group who were convicted of similar offence in the St Catherine Circuit Court last year and given a probation order.

''I am not mindful to grant bail at this time. It is clear that the accused, being given a probation in circuit last year for a similar offence, should have known better,'' The RM said.

The men were then ordered remanded until June 25.

Allegations are that in February this year, the 18-year-old woman was lured to a house in Portmore, St Catherine, where she was forced to perform various sexual acts by the men who took turns assaulting her.

A subsequent report was made to the Centre for Investigation of Sexual Offences and Child Abuse and following an investigation, the four were charged with rape.

Bookmark and Share
Home | Gleaner Blogs | Gleaner Online | Go-Jamaica | Go-Local | Feedback | Disclaimer | Advertisement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us