Home - The Star
June 17, 2014
Star News



 

Fire destroys yallahs two-bedroom house

Deon Green, Star Writer

Fire, suspected to have been caused by an electrical short circuit, ravaged a two-bedroom house in Yallahs on Saturday, leaving a family of two home- less.

The police reported that, at about 2 p.m., a fire was seen by neighbours, engulfing the house of a couple.

The Yallahs Fire Department was summoned and, with the assistance of the National Water Commission, managed to put out the blaze.

The Yallahs Fire Department, in confirming the tragedy, told The Star it was suspected that the blaze was due to an electrical short circuit. The damage was estimated at $10m. It could not be ascertained whether the house or contents were insured.

This was the second fire in the area after a man of unsound mind allegedly set a house on fire last week.

The number of fires has seen calls by the St Thomas Parish Council for a third fire station in the parish.

Deputy Superintendent Errol Mowatt of the Jamaica Fire Brigade told the council last week that the idea is under active consideration.

He said 18 additional stations and 40 new trucks are needed islandwide to provide effective response to emergency fires, but said, due to financial constraints, the brigade has no plans to construct new fire stations.

Bookmark and Share
Home | Gleaner Blogs | Gleaner Online | Go-Jamaica | Go-Local | Feedback | Disclaimer | Advertisement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us