Home - The Star
July 4, 2014
Star News


Firearm owner fined $50,000 for negligence
Bjorn Burke, Staff Reporter

A man who left his licensed firearm in his motor car, resulting in it being stolen, was ordered to pay a fine or face imprisonment when he appeared before the Corporate Area Resident Magistrate's Court on Tuesday.

Charged with loss of a firearm through negligence is Wayne Wray.

The allegations are that on June 3, at approximately 8:30 p.m., Wray parked his motor car outside a premises at Acadia Drive, Kingston 8. On leaving his car, Wray reportedly placed his gun inside his briefcase, which he placed under the driver's seat, leaving the vehicle to enter a building. It is reported that on his return, Wray discovered that the rear window of his vehicle had been shattered. The briefcase containing the firearm, along with several other valuables was taken from the vehicle.

The court heard that security camera footage of the robbery in progress was handed over to police personnel as evidence.

During the proceedings, Wray's attorney called three witnesses to the witness stand, all of whom gave glowing testimonies about the character of the accused.


"He is a law-abiding Christian citizen, ... always cognisant of the law, and has a tradition in his family of legal officers," said one witness.

"Wayne is somebody whom I have the highest regard for ... I know he is most honourable. Someone who is most committed to doing things that are good, and right and decent," said another.

Seemingly quite impressed with how three diverse witnesses could speak so glowingly about the accused man's character, Senior Resident Magistrate lauded Wray, noting that the incident appeared to be a momentary lapse of judgement.

Subsequently, the sitting magistrate ordered Wray to pay a fine of $50,000 or serve six months in prison.

Bookmark and Share
Home | Gleaner Blogs | Gleaner Online | Go-Jamaica | Go-Local | Feedback | Disclaimer | Advertisement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us