Home - The Star
July 11, 2014
Star News



 

Fire leaves St Thomas family homeless
Deon P Green, Star Writer

A fire in Morant Bay, St Thomas, that left a family homeless on Monday, has prompted calls in the St Thomas Parish Council for action to be taken to remove shacks in the area that hinder emergency vehicle.

Reports reaching The WEEKEND Star are that on Monday morning a seven-apartment house at Jackass Hill in the parish capital, went up in a blaze. The Morant Bay Fire Department, also in the town, responded immediately but was unable to get close to the fire due to stalls lining both sides of the road and a fire hydrant that was not functioning.

While the fire department is still seeking to find the cause of the fire, it is understood that the occupants of the house, including a mother, daughter and grandchildren, watched helplessly.

When the matter came up in the monthly meeting of the St Thomas Parish Council yesterday, councillors were irate that despite talks over the years of the danger posed by the shacks, nothing has been done.

The councillors argued that the council should take responsibility before there is loss of life in the area.

Bookmark and Share
Home | Gleaner Blogs | Gleaner Online | Go-Jamaica | Go-Local | Feedback | Disclaimer | Advertisement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us